Thursday, October 1, 2009

NBA prohibits twitter use?

After reading an article online about updates in the news, I came across one which I found particularly interesting. It was titled "New NBA rule prohibits Twitter use", my first thought was this new rule was relatively dumb, I mean what NBA player is going to pull out their cell phone in the middle of a game to tweet about their latest updates? The rule entails that players' communication devices are banned starting 45minutes before tip off and they may resume use after they have finished their responsibilities, this includes half time. What was even more ridiculous is that the memo sent out by the NBA also mentions that coaches and other team basketball operations personnel are included. I may be confused but I have never heard about or seen an incident where a coach whips out his cell phone, pulls up his twitter application, and tweets about his life. A few weeks ago when I was getting the syllabi for all of my classes for the semester, there was a section in every single one of them regarding the prohibited use of communication devices in class. This seems reasonable for a college class, but the NBA? This just goes to show how advances in new media have become such a distraction in our lives. These players earn so much money doing what they do, you would think that no one would need to tell them to turn off their cell phones for the duration of a game. But, I suppose that the fascination of twitter is just too much for these grown men to resist!

3 comments:

  1. That is pretty silly, I wonder if there was an incedent that caused the rule to be put in place. I also wonder if it was the 50+ year old coaches that wanted the rule made because they didn't know how to go on a computer and see what their players were saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. Over the summer I read that the Marines had banned facebook and twitter as well. How can someone be old enough to fight for their country in a war but not old enough to decide what they should and shouldn't post on the internet? The fear large institutions have surrounding these new technologies is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont know if you know this, but Usc football head coach pete Carrol has a twitter, and he was using it to keep people updated on the running back that got in that weight lifting accident. In that way twitter seems really usefull and not something that would be seen to ban. but at the same time this isnt the 1st time the league has implemented a policy that would seem pointless to NBA players, we all know how people took the dress code policy. any hatred of this new rule will blow over within a season mostlikely

    ReplyDelete