Friday, December 4, 2009
Rockin Around the Radio...at the Christmas Party Hop!
With all the hype going on these days about the interent I would like to dedicate this blog to radio. During the holiday season I leave my car radio tuned to 97.1 which plays holiday music non stop through new years (that's right, Christmas music, ALL the time). This radio station has always been a highlight if my holiday season since I was old enough to remember. In between Christmas music listeners call in and share holiday stories and traditions (a huge bonus if you ask me)...last night a woman called the radio station and said that she was making dozens of Christmas cookies with her entire family and they kept the radio tuned to 97.1. I found it interesting that families were using one of the oldest forms of media to bring there family closer together. With the internet these days everyone seems so isolated from each other in a sense, everyone on there own computers surfing the web and checking emails and most people have there own TVs in there bedrooms. Radio brings people together and reminds us of the true meaning of family. With all these new media inventions its weird to think that we use one of the oldest forms to complete the simplest of tasks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i bet you twitter is gunna take that whole call in thing over. People will just tweet 97.1 the song they want..they might even share their stories in the tweet, but that sounds difficult in 140 characters for a tweet.
ReplyDeletepandora radio has made it easier to listen to christmas all the time while at school. But when i go home for break i will search for that radio station that plays only christmas music
ReplyDeleteOk, I understand what Alex is saying about listeners tweeting what songs they want to hear, but I really don't see that happening on this particular station. There are two demographic areas for regular 97.1 listening: old people and Britt. For "soft rock" 97.1, it is more likely that people call in requests on a car phone than tweet them.
ReplyDeleteI swear on last.fm. It is better than pandora, in my opinion.
ReplyDelete