Thursday, November 12, 2009

A and B conversation, so C your way out of it...

This week I wanted to talk about the issue of public friendships. I don't know about you guys but I get so annoyed when people are are good friends in real life think that it is acceptable to write every inside joke between them and talk about every event they did over the weekend on facebook. Do you want the entire facebook world to know all of your inside jokes?? There's a point to "inside" jokes, there are meant to keep everyone else on OUTSIDE, duh. Sometimes when I'm browsing through facebook, I actually feel like I am included in some random peoples friendship, basically because I know so much about it. Its fine if you want to joke around with your friends, but please remember, the entire world does not need to know how many shots you took last night and how you ditched your cab fare on John McCormick RD...thanks!

6 comments:

  1. haha...agreed...I always find myself questioning whether the inside jokes are secretly making fun of me or someone i know...even though I know they're not (hopefully!). I guess inside jokes on public sites like that are a way to disguise your personal life from the unknown audience that can possibly see it. I always find myself wanting to put something funny on my friends' walls...but i dont want my high school lacrosse coach or aunt sally to understand the inappropriate meaning behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this annoyance will hopefully subside with more and more adults using Facebook as Molly mentioned. I find myself hesitating to post certain things on Facebook because I know it will be read by some of my adult friends on Facebook. This is not necessarily such a bad thing as it forces me and others to become more mature and selective about our SNS use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to this. I feel like I know so much about some people strictly because of Facebook. It is kind of creepy. I may not even really know the person, but I know intimate details of their lives through pictures, status updates, and wall posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel bad for these people. I feel like they don't really have many other friends so they have to broadcast the interactions they do have to the world to look like their social lives are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly my point! I feel like sometimes when I'm walking on campus I actually can spot someone that I know on facebook but not in real life simply through there excessive fracebook activity, it really is creepy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Britt, sometimes when you're browsing Facebook? More like STALKING, creep. The people that put stuff like that online are, like some other people said, short on friends. Also, whatever profile you saw that said they ditched a cab on John McCormick: NOT COOL.

    ReplyDelete