
Since I haven't been to any classes since last Thursday I obviously spent most of my time thinking about Don Tapscott's article
The Impending Demise of the University. Something I found especially interesting were Tapscott's points about multi-tasking. I'd like to interrupt this blogspot to let you know that I was thinking about starting my next sentence on multi-tasking when I received a message on the facebook chat application so naturally I had to interrupt my homework to read and respond to it. Now, on to my point about University students being deemed expert multi-taskers...Tapscott says on page three, "They're used to multi-tasking, and have learned to handle the information overload." Just because I was talking to someone on facebook and writing my weekly blog at the same time doesn't mean that I'm good at multi-tasking...to be honest I wasn't really having an engaging conversation with the person on facebook, they asked me what the homework was for a class we take together, and it obviously did not make my blog any more academically strong, I even interrupted my train of thought and the flow of my blog to tell you about what I was doing. In fact, with as many times as i've stopped doing my blog to talk to my friend sitting next to me or with as many times as I've looked at facebook while writing this, I maybe could have finished my blog twenty minutes ago. Therefore, my multi-tasking was the furthest thing from anything productive or anything that could even be considered a good use of my time. Tapscott is giving students like me credit for having this "ability" of being on facebook while I do my homework, seriously? So is he giving credit to students who sit on there laptops in class and surf the web or shop online (just for the record, I would obviously never do this) while they pretend to take notes on an empty word document they have open on there computer? Tapscott needs to learn more about University students and there behavior before he should write any more articles making accusations about them that are in my opinion, a little absurd.
No comments:
Post a Comment